1. Mortgages are still cheap. In his 2010 post, Mr. Arends noted, “You can get a 30-year loan for around 4.3 percent. What’s not to like? These are the lowest rates on record. As recently as two years ago they were about 6.3 percent. That drop slashes your monthly repayment by a fifth. If inflation picks up, you won’t see these mortgage rates again in your lifetime.”
Well, according to Wells Fargo, the 30-year fixed rate as of 12/18/2014 was 4.0 percent. A 30-year FHA mortgage is 3.875 percent!
2. Your buyer will save on taxes. Mortgage interest can be deducted from your income reducing your tax liability. Real estate taxes are deductible. Based on current tax law, when you sell up to some pretty lofty thresholds, gains on your primary residence are tax-free!
3. “It’ll be yours.” If you have never leased a property before, and that probably is few of us, to be able to go get a dog, paint the walls how you like, renovate that one eyesore room in the house any way you like it, and do what you want with your house, is all simply part of that American dream!
4. You’ll get a better home, and it won’t cost you as much to buy as it might to lease! Mr. Arends noted in 2010, “In many parts of the country, it can be really hard to find a good rental. All the best places are sold.” Good example: In one of our most competitive markets based on school district, there are 220 homes on the market for sale right now, and only four for lease! There is simply not that much opportunity to lease and get into this desirable area of the market. Regarding affordability today, Zillow just came out with its latest affordability index, which noted that renting is half as affordable in the U.S. compared to buying.
5. Sooner or later, the market will clear. This seemed to be hopeful thinking to some in September of 2010, but I found some data that suggested if you had bought a home in 2010, your appreciation based on the Case-Shiller index would have been a little over 12.5 percent. If you had waited a few months from the publication of this post in the Wall Street Journal and bought early 2011, your total gain today would be over 20 percent.
Real estate is a long-term investment. Just like that retirement plan contribution that you forget about for the next fifteen to twenty years, what appreciation your house goes through next month, next quarter or next year pales in comparison with where it will be five years down the road and beyond!
Clearly, in 2015, homebuyers still have plenty of reasons to buy. With the market clearing up since 2010, it would seem a safe short-term bet in 2015, and it has always been a great long-term investment to buy a home!
Author:Deborah Boyd Phone: 940-368-1306 Dated: January 7th 2015 Views: 955 About Deborah: My family has lived in North Texas for generations so I personally know the residential areas of Fri...
JP And Associates REALTORS (JPAR) is one of the top 100 independently owned brokerages in the US. A full service real estate brokerage firm specializing in real estate sales and marketing services with multiple offices across the US and expanding quickly. JPAR is also one of Real Trends top 500 Brokerages in the US for volume and sales and in the top 1% in the US for sales.
Our mission is to provide extraordinary services and exceed our clients’ expectations by always committing to the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and standards in the real estate industry.
JP and Associates REALTORS is a real estate company with a solid structure and foundation built around service and productivity. We believe in providing a fun and rewarding environment for all our REALTORS® and therefore always ready to support our REALTORs® Associates in any market and in any condition. All our REALTORs® will always strive to close more transactions in a given year than the average REALTOR®. Our goal is to recruit and retain the most professional, better trained REALTORs Associates in the local market.
If you are interested in a new career in real estate or already have a real estate license but wish to learn more about our company please contact us directly to set up an interview. We offer our agents a 100% commission plan, company leads, training and mentoring and coaching from TOP Producers with no office, desk fees or monthly marketing fees ever. We are a full service brokerage at a transaction fee cost.
At JP And Associates REALTORS we strive to exceed our Clients AND our Associates expectations.
General Inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Number: 1 (800) 683-5651
Texas Real Estate Commission Consumer Protection Notice
I read recently that the CEO of Zillow.com, Spencer Rascoff collected
"Jennifer always puts the client first and is extremely proactive in her approach. Once she understands what you want, she will find it and more. If you forget to ask for something, she will tell you, almost like a second sense. She very familiar with the Austin area and will give you insight into the areas you are interested in. And she will be honest if you push her to give an opinion. She is really really dynamic and a great realtor. Definitely would recommend her to anyone. "