It’s no secret staging can raise the value of a home—in fact, it can boost a sale price by as much as 10 percent. The best staged homes—the ones that garner the full 10—strike the balance between lived-in and never-owned. How can you apply that science when staging your home?
Look no further than model homes, which draw buyers by blending the form-follows-function principle with the preferences of today. To stage. your home to that effect:
1. Remove anything from the room that doesn’t fit the intended purpose of the space, and vice versa. Take televisions out of bedrooms and designate an eating area in the kitchen, for example.
2. Delineate sections in a room with area rugs, and “float” furniture away from walls and on and around the space. Avoid closing off accessibility by allowing at least three feet of walk-through space around furniture arrangements.
3. Group solid furnishings, like sectionals or bookcases, with visually lighter pieces, like a glass side table or raised bench, to convey spaciousness over sparseness.
4. Have at least one light fixture for every 100 square feet of space, especially if your home lacks natural light. Use pure white lamp shades on all light fixtures, and replace any incandescent bulbs with CFLs.
5. Mix general and task lighting in rooms that see the most traffic. Install lighting between open-air shelving or underneath overhead cabinetry in the kitchen, and place a small lamp on a desk or workspace in a child’s bedroom.
6. Accessorize sparingly. Display only a handful of books with like-colored bindings in bookcases or shelving units, add one (thriving!) house plant to a side table, or hang one statement piece of artwork (scaled appropriately) over a bed or fireplace.
Stage to the model home aesthetic with these tips—and learn even more about readying your home for sale contact me for a free in home consultation.
Author:Deborah Boyd Phone: 940-368-1306 Dated: March 1st 2016 Views: 1,621 About Deborah: My family has lived in North Texas for generations so I personally know the residential areas of Fri...
I always ask for a preapproval up front and some people are so SCARED
"“We are so fortunate to have Diane as our realtor. My husband and I are both first time home buyers . She accommodated our schedule by going to home showings on the weekends and in the evenings. Our 9 year old son was with us most of the time. She made him feel valuable to the home buying process by listening to his own needs and wants in a home. She was very patient with us and worked diligently to get us a contract and to get our home closed. I would recommend Diane to anyone that is looking to purchase or sell their home.”