These simple extras can help sell a home more quickly and for top dollar.
1. Fresh exterior paint. If the home has siding or trim and you can see wood “bleeding” through flecks of paint, then the property needs to be painted prior to marketing it for sale. This should include the trim and fascia!
2. New carpet. There are a handful of things that all buyers despise. Old or worn carpet is usually first or second on everyone’s list!
Compare a Fannie Mae HomePath listing and a HUD listing. What you will see at every HomePath listing is new carpet and fresh paint. What you will see at a HUD listing often is an abused home that needs renovation prior to anyone being able to comfortably live in it. The last HUD home I closed was “uninhabitable,” according to the appraiser. Fannie Mae is getting both a faster sale and a premium on the average closing in our market compared to HUD, according to our MLS. And what’s good for HomePath’s marketing can be good for your seller, too!
3. Remove wallpaper. Buyers tell me that wallpaper makes a home seem “dated.” And it is a chore to remove! I have seen painters who would almost tear up when asked if they would take wallpaper down, repair the walls and paint.
4. Turn up the lights! A builder showed me a trick once: Put high-wattage bulbs in a house to brighten it up for sale. They make everything seem to “pop” compared to underlit rooms or rooms where bulbs are burned out.
5. Change air filters and vacuum the vents! If your seller has pets, this is a must!
6. Remove litter boxes and anything that screams “pets.” Now, I am a pet guy. I have a dog and a cat. Not to show partiality to either, but nothing will kill a sale quite as fast as an odorous kitty litter box. And if door jambs and the woodwork have been gnawed by Fido, encourage the seller to fix or replace them prior to listing.
7. Fresh interior paint. The interior of a home shows best when walls are a neutral color, feature no more than two different colors, and have trim and baseboards that are painted a fresh white. I have been in houses where I could stand in one spot and see six different colors of paint! That is too busy for buyers to deal with, and it will make the house sit longer. Remember that dark colors make a room feel smaller, whereas lighter colors make a room feel larger.
I sat in a home once where the gable ceiling was painted mustard yellow on one side and ketchup red on the other! The seller went on about how much she loved the colors, but eventually the ceiling had to be painted to sell the house. There is a reason why builders typically use neutral colors. They sell!
8. Pressure wash. You have seen it, I am sure: the side or back of a house that was “green.” I always encourage my sellers to pressure wash the exterior of the house. If needed, pressure wash the side of the neighbor’s house, too! (Do so only with their permission, of course.)
There is some work involved in each step, but if you can appeal to the largest number of buyers and make the home feel like new, it will sell quickly and for a premium price!
If you would like me to do a free in home consultation, please contact me and I can show you how to get top dollar for your home.
Author:Deborah Boyd Phone: 940-368-1306 Dated: December 30th 2014 Views: 1,161 About Deborah: My family has lived in North Texas for generations so I personally know the residential areas of Fri...
JP And Associates REALTORS (JPAR) is one of the top 100 independently owned brokerages in the US. A full service real estate brokerage firm specializing in real estate sales and marketing services with multiple offices across the US and expanding quickly. JPAR is also one of Real Trends top 500 Brokerages in the US for volume and sales and in the top 1% in the US for sales.
Our mission is to provide extraordinary services and exceed our clients’ expectations by always committing to the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and standards in the real estate industry.
JP and Associates REALTORS is a real estate company with a solid structure and foundation built around service and productivity. We believe in providing a fun and rewarding environment for all our REALTORS® and therefore always ready to support our REALTORs® Associates in any market and in any condition. All our REALTORs® will always strive to close more transactions in a given year than the average REALTOR®. Our goal is to recruit and retain the most professional, better trained REALTORs Associates in the local market.
If you are interested in a new career in real estate or already have a real estate license but wish to learn more about our company please contact us directly to set up an interview. We offer our agents a 100% commission plan, company leads, training and mentoring and coaching from TOP Producers with no office, desk fees or monthly marketing fees ever. We are a full service brokerage at a transaction fee cost.
At JP And Associates REALTORS we strive to exceed our Clients AND our Associates expectations.
General Inquiries: email@example.com
Office Number: 1 (800) 683-5651
Texas Real Estate Commission Consumer Protection Notice
Coming up with a down payment strategy can be difficult for some buyer
"Mandy is highly professional and extremely personable. She made the experience of selling our home and transition to and purchase of a new home smooth and effortless. Mandy's knowledge of market availability and pricing enable us to maximize our investment return and purchasing power."