In 1837, after a savage Indian battle, the remnants of a Texas Ranger scouting expedition camped in a lovely spot along “the creek with all the turtles.” These survivors were the first recorded Anglo-Americans in that area that is now known as Highland Park.
A year later, an old Caddo Indian trace was surveyed by the Republic of Texas to become part of a National Central Road to run north from Austin to the Red River. This road was also used as a segment of the old Shawnee Trail for cattle drives to Missouri. Today that road is known as Preston Road, the first paved street in Highland Park and one of the first major highways in this area.
In 1843, Dr. John Cole of Virginia acquired 420 acres as a headright from the Republic of Texas. This acreage includes the area of what was to become both Highland Park and University Park. In 1851, Dr. Cole’s son, Joseph Larkin Cole, inherited this land.
Between 1886 and 1889, Colonel Henry Exall, of Kentucky and Virginia, along with other investors, acquired the Cole property. Colonel Exall constructed a dam on Turtle Creek in 1890, creating Exall Lake, and began laying out the graveled streets. After a financial setback, Colonel Exall farmed and raised trotting horses in this area he called lomo alto (high land.)
In 1907, John S. Armstrong purchased the land and along with his two sons-in-law, Edgar L. Flippen and Hugh E. Prather, Sr., began development of a residential community to be called Highland Park, so named because of its higher elevation as compared to the surrounding area and because of a plan to reserve 20% of the developed land for parks. Wilbur David Cook, the planner who had laid out Beverly Hills, California, laid out the plans for development of the area. The first two lots were sold in 1909, in an area bounded by Armstrong, Abbott and Gillon Avenues and Hackberry Creek.
In 1913, the Town was incorporated by a vote of its residents and the evolvement of present day Highland Park began.
If you are thinking about relocating to Highland Park, TX call me today to preview some beautiful properties!
JP & Associates Realtors
Author:Jessica Boozer Phone: 214-934-5334 Dated: April 23rd 2013 Views: 2,977 About Jessica: Jessica Boozer stands for experience, market knowledge and diligence. If you are looking for a local...
JP And Associates REALTORS (JPAR) is one of the top 100 independently owned brokerages in the US. A full service real estate brokerage firm specializing in real estate sales and marketing services with multiple offices across the US and expanding quickly. JPAR is also one of Real Trends top 500 Brokerages in the US for volume and sales and in the top 1% in the US for sales.
Our mission is to provide extraordinary services and exceed our clients’ expectations by always committing to the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and standards in the real estate industry.
JP and Associates REALTORS is a real estate company with a solid structure and foundation built around service and productivity. We believe in providing a fun and rewarding environment for all our REALTORS® and therefore always ready to support our REALTORs® Associates in any market and in any condition. All our REALTORs® will always strive to close more transactions in a given year than the average REALTOR®. Our goal is to recruit and retain the most professional, better trained REALTORs Associates in the local market.
If you are interested in a new career in real estate or already have a real estate license but wish to learn more about our company please contact us directly to set up an interview. We offer our agents a 100% commission plan, company leads, training and mentoring and coaching from TOP Producers with no office, desk fees or monthly marketing fees ever. We are a full service brokerage at a transaction fee cost.
At JP And Associates REALTORS we strive to exceed our Clients AND our Associates expectations.
General Inquiries: email@example.com
Office Number: 1 (800) 683-5651
Texas Real Estate Commission Consumer Protection Notice