Historically low interest rates have resulted in many consumers considering investing in a home of their own. The benefits are big and the rewards of buying a home are far reaching. For many of those consumers, a down payment is the only thing standing between them and the dream of home ownership. Here are some simple things you can do to save for that down payment and make your dream a reality.
1.Get in the know. Where are you NOW? As you put a plan in place to save money it is most important to know where you are now. Credit scores, monthly bills and your current assets are things that will be considered when you speak with a mortgage professional. They will be able to tell you how much home you qualify for and how much you have to save to purchase your home.
2. Set a deadline. By setting a deadline, you have the motivation to reach your goal and have established a timeline for your savings plan. The bottom line is that a deadline is a powerful motivator to help you accomplish your goal of home ownership.
3. Create a "Down Payment" account. By establishing a savings account specifically for your future home purchase, there is less chance you spend the money elsewhere. Check with your bank or credit union to see if they have an interest bearing account that will allow your money to grow faster. The key to this part of the plan is to have the discipline not to touch this money for any reason. Hold yourself accountable and you will be rewarded in time.
4. Take a good, hard look at your monthly bills. Credit cards or revolving credit with high interest rates hurt your cause. First, they are costing you big time and just wasted money. Secondly, those high rates mean high payments which affect your debt-to-income ratio which mortgage lenders will take a hard look at when considering your loan qualification. Make a list of your creditors, how much you owe, the interest rate and the monthly payments. Take the highest interest rate one first, get it paid off and then work on the next one in line.
5. Automate your savings. We have all heard the term out of sight, out of mind. In this case it is out of sight, out of spending reach. Once you have determined how much you can save every month, have that amount automatically withdrawn from your account and deposited in your down payment savings account.
6. Ask about IRAs. If you have IRAs, check and see if yours has any first time home buyer benefits. Some will allow you to invest a considerable amountof pre-tax dollars and withdraw without penalty for home purchases. They often will provide a higher rate of return on your investment than a traditional savings account. So take a moment and call your IRA provider or financial advisor to see what is available to you.
7. Every little bit counts. Get yourself some type of money container for your home. For instance, I have a glass jar that I keep in my bedroom closet. Each day put whatever you can in the container towards your house fund. From leftover change to a couple of dollar bills, it goes into the container. You can also place money that you would normally spend, but decided to save in your home fund container. Instead of Starbucks, drink the coffee at the office and place the $4-$6 in your fund. Or pack a lunch and take the money you saved by not eating out and add that $5-$10 to your savings container. Then either once a week or once a month count your money that you collected and deposit that money in your home fund savings account.
Saving for a home of your own can be challenging, but it can also be very exciting. The sense of accomplishment and the feeling of personal reward can be extraordinary. By starting with these seven steps, you can soon enjoy realizing your dream of buying your new home.
JP And Associates REALTORS (JPAR) is one of the top 100 independently owned brokerages in the US. A full service real estate brokerage firm specializing in real estate sales and marketing services with multiple offices across the US and expanding quickly. JPAR is also one of Real Trends top 500 Brokerages in the US for volume and sales and in the top 1% in the US for sales.
Our mission is to provide extraordinary services and exceed our clients’ expectations by always committing to the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and standards in the real estate industry.
JP and Associates REALTORS is a real estate company with a solid structure and foundation built around service and productivity. We believe in providing a fun and rewarding environment for all our REALTORS® and therefore always ready to support our REALTORs® Associates in any market and in any condition. All our REALTORs® will always strive to close more transactions in a given year than the average REALTOR®. Our goal is to recruit and retain the most professional, better trained REALTORs Associates in the local market.
If you are interested in a new career in real estate or already have a real estate license but wish to learn more about our company please contact us directly to set up an interview. We offer our agents a 100% commission plan, company leads, training and mentoring and coaching from TOP Producers with no office, desk fees or monthly marketing fees ever. We are a full service brokerage at a transaction fee cost.
At JP And Associates REALTORS we strive to exceed our Clients AND our Associates expectations.
General Inquiries: email@example.com
Office Number: 1 (800) 683-5651
Texas Real Estate Commission Consumer Protection Notice
#1)The Shops at Clearfork Neiman Marcus has already opene
I recently hired Gary to represent me in buying a new home. Gary was great to work with, very responsive, and did an excellent job from start to finish. He helped get me a better price and was successful in closing the property i wanted. I highly recommend Gary and would hire him again the next time I am in the market.Less "