The single family home lease market in North Dallas is off the wall crazy. I probably wouldn't believe it if I haven't lived it. I have taken people to look at property who are ready to pull the trigger only to find out there are 5 applications ahead of them or the property has been leased after only being on the market for a day or two. The reality is in Frisco, Plano, The Colony or any other North Dallas area "leisure looking" is a thing of the past. Going home to think about it could cost you the house. For example, if you are currently in a lease and it doesn't end until July, then don't start visiting property until you are about a week or two out of giving your 30 day notice. You may even consider paying for a few days on your current property as well as the new lease if it is that important to you. Some owners will give more than a 30 day move in but most will not. Why should they? There is someone right behind you ready to put in an application.
My suggestions when you are ready to visit property:
1. Be prepared to have your agent call the listing agent to say you want to put in an application.
2. Being prepared means that you have the money to drop off at the listing agent's office. You can then go home and fill out an application to give to them for each adult that will be living in the house. Your buyers agent should be ready to give that to you. After filling out, scan into your computer and he/she will email to the listing agent.
3. The money is anywhere from $30 to $50 per adult that is a money order or cashier's check. Cash and checks are not accepted. If it's the weekend most offices have a drop box.
4. Speaking of the weekend....if you see something you really like and are ready to pull the trigger then try to go during the week. Everyone goes on the weekend. So if a home comes up on Wednesday that you may be interested in then get to it! Buy someone at work lunch so they will cover for you. Let it be yours to say no to.
5. Drive the neighborhood before you go out with your agent. You may love the house but the neighborhood may be to far from work or not in the school district you need. These are things that save time for both of you.
6. Most important! Make sure your agent finds out if the property owner is accepting pets. I don't care how much I love the property I would not lease if I couldn't have my dogs!
And while I am thinking about it....this should go for buyers in North Dallas as well.....we are seeing multiple offers and homes that once sat for sometime suddenly become the "It" property.
Jill Elliott is a real estate agent for JP and Assoicates Realtors. She specializes in residential real estate in Frisco, Plano, The Colony, Little Elm, East Dallas and Lavon. She can be reached at 469-500-1300, JillElliotthomes.com or JillElliotthomes@gmail.com
Author:Jill Elliott Phone: 469-500-1300 Dated: March 27th 2012 Views: 3,250 About Jill: When you choose to work with Jill expect a blast of energy, dedication and commitment unmatched in t...
Do You Know the Real Cost of Renting vs. Buying? Some Highlights:
I have had the privilege of knowing Mr. Thomas for 20 years as a personal friend and as a businessman. I came to Mr. Thomas last year in need of a house to purchase in a very short time period. He spent the very next day with me looking for a home that fit my needs to the letter. He was knowledgeable about the area, the market, and the best route to advise us on. Because of him, we live in a wonderful home that fits our needs, our budget, and our taste. I could not recommend him more to do business with.