1. Keep an eye out for you AND your neighbors. If your gut says there’s something not right, your gut is generally always right. Call 911 immediately. Give the location and as many details as possible. Even if it wasn’t anything, we get the police presence in our neighborhood. “The squeaky wheel gets the grease.”
2. Invest in a home security system with multiple motion detectors, glass-break detectors and door sensors on each entryway.
3. Camera systems can be a little more expensive to protect your home, but with today’s technology, many cameras give you very clear images and great detail.
4. Indoor and outdoor lights, as well as light timers can deter burglars because they don’t know if you’re home or away.
5. Remove flyers from your front doors.
6. Avoid the temptation to share your travel plans on social media sites.
7. Temporarily stop your mail and newspapers from coming to your home while you’re traveling.