What To Know About Winterizing Your Home In North Texas
What To Know About Winterizing Your Home In North Texas
What to Know About Winterizing Your Home
Wow! This morning was definitely CHILLY! Have you taken the necessary steps to prepare your home for the COLD? Turning up the thermostat and adding an extra sweater is not always the best solution! Instead try out these low-cost winterization tips to keep the cold out and your money in your pocket.
1. Reverse your ceiling fans. They’re not just to use during the summer months. Flick the switch or pull the cord on your fans so that they run in a clockwise direction during the winter. Why? This pushes the hot air that’s up near the ceiling down, warming the room.
2. Plug your chimney. Burning a fire in the fireplace can certainly make your house feel warmer. But a fireplace is a huge source of cold air during the winter. If not in use - close the flue or install a Chimney pillow to block the cold air.
3. Dodge drafts. Drafts in a home can increase a home’s energy usage by 5 to 30 percent, according to the U.S. Department of Energy. One of the easiest ways to reduce them is totally old school: a draft snake placed at the base of doors and windows. You can purchase these at home improvement and big-box stores, or make your own!
4. Cover your windows. Blinds and curtains aren’t just for decoration. Closing these window coverings once the sun goes down helps reduce the amount of cold air coming into your house during the evening and overnight. The heavier the fabric? The better at blocking drafts.
5. Give Your Heating System a Tune-Up You probably already know that cars need periodic tune-ups in order to run their best. Well the same is true for heating equipment. Keeping your furnace clean, lubricated and properly adjusted will reduce energy use, saving up to 5% of heating costs.
6. Fill every nook and cranny. From small cracks around exterior faucets, windows, doors, electric outlets and wiring, houses have countless ways for cold air to sneak inside. Sealing exterior openings and tiny ones with caulk and using weather stripping on larger cracks (like ones around windows and doors) will help reduce your heating costs.
7. Program your thermostat. How many times have you left your house only to remember hours later that you never turned down the heat? A programmable thermostat will prevent this from happening in the future. If you don’t already have one, purchasing a programmable thermostat will be an upfront cost of around $50 to $100, but as Popular Mechanics points out, you’ll save between 1 and 3 percent of your heating costs for each degree you lower it. Meaning that you’ll make back that money — and then a whole lot more — very quickly.
To prevent pipes from freezing and causing major damage, follows these steps:
Drain water from pipes that are likely to freeze. This includes your swimming pool and sprinkler water supply lines.Disconnect any hoses from the outside of your home, drain the hoses and store them in the garage. Make sure to close the indoor valves supplying these outdoor access points.Insulate the area around vents and light fixtures. This helps prevent heat from escaping into the attic.Seal any wall cracks. Be sure to pay careful attention to the areas around utility service lines.Install heat trace tape on your sprinkler system plumbing. This is a DIY job—just make sure the tape plugs into a reliable electrical outlet so it can do its job.
"Your Realtors for Life"
York Sinclair Realty Group JP and Associates Realtors firstname.lastname@example.org Cell: 469-343-1400 Our goal is to provide a level of customer service that builds a long-lasting relationship and not just a one-time transaction with our clients. We believe that buying or selling a home is one of the most important financial transactions we do in our lifetime. We carefully listen to our clients, being sure to understand their wants and needs. Our knowledge, experience, and understanding the nature and complexities of each real estate transaction are the keys that differentiate us from other agents. Friendliness, honesty, integrity and market knowledge round off my skill-set to make every real estate transaction as smooth as possible.We truly love our clients and appreciate all of your referrals! Keep them coming! We will continue to provide our clients with outstanding Concierge service that they have come to enjoy!
Author:Rene Sinclair Phone: 972-816-9816 Dated: November 13th 2014 Views: 1,854 About Rene: Originally from Phoenix, Arizona, by way of Conway, Arkansas, René got to Texas as soon as she coul...
JP And Associates REALTORS (JPAR) is one of the top 100 independently owned brokerages in the US. A full service real estate brokerage firm specializing in real estate sales and marketing services with multiple offices across the US and expanding quickly. JPAR is also one of Real Trends top 500 Brokerages in the US for volume and sales and in the top 1% in the US for sales.
Our mission is to provide extraordinary services and exceed our clients’ expectations by always committing to the highest levels of professionalism, ethics and standards in the real estate industry.
JP and Associates REALTORS is a real estate company with a solid structure and foundation built around service and productivity. We believe in providing a fun and rewarding environment for all our REALTORS® and therefore always ready to support our REALTORs® Associates in any market and in any condition. All our REALTORs® will always strive to close more transactions in a given year than the average REALTOR®. Our goal is to recruit and retain the most professional, better trained REALTORs Associates in the local market.
If you are interested in a new career in real estate or already have a real estate license but wish to learn more about our company please contact us directly to set up an interview. We offer our agents a 100% commission plan, company leads, training and mentoring and coaching from TOP Producers with no office, desk fees or monthly marketing fees ever. We are a full service brokerage at a transaction fee cost.
At JP And Associates REALTORS we strive to exceed our Clients AND our Associates expectations.
General Inquiries: email@example.com
Office Number: 1 (800) 683-5651
Texas Real Estate Commission Consumer Protection Notice
15,014 Homes Sold Yesterday… Did Yours?There are some homeowners tha
"Absolutely perfect, incredible, and unlike any we have dealt with in the past. John cares about each of his clients as if they were family. So blessed to have him in our corner! We have never been happier!"